[Review] Cowboy Guns by Chillingo Ltd & Union
This is a good day for BlackBerry users in my opinion. A day I could only dream of before, has now become a reality thanks to Union. Developer Chillingo Ltd, maker of such games as the classic iOS title Minigore have made their BlackBerry PlayBook debut with Cowboy Guns!
Cowboy Guns Highlights
• Adventure mode with a great story and depth. Cinematic scenes connect this western tale.
• Survival Mode where endless enemies come from all directions in different areas of the game.
• Bounty hunter mode: Get rewards for defeating more than 20 wanted criminals in the bounty hunter mode.
• Use a variety of Wild West weaponry from handguns, to shotguns to sticks of dynamite.
• Upgrade your weapons with the rewards you get for missions, bounties and with stars collected through exploration in all of the levels.
• Four challenging bosses to defeat.
• Authentic soundtrack based on spaghetti western movies.
If you’ve ever had the pleasure of playing Minigore on iPhone before, you’ll be right at home with the controls. If not the learning curve is slight, just takes 30 minutes or so to get used to. All touch and well designed throughout.
The gameplay takes you along a wild west story line complete with story over a spaghetti western soundtrack! This is a great game. The graphics appear a lot more crisp on the PlayBook than I see in the screenshots of Chillingo’s other versions even. So strike one more for RIM. And always kudos to Union for putting this caliber of 6-shooter game in our laps.
Basically you cruise through the old west taking down some real chummy bloaks known in town as the Crimson Jackals. Along the way you’ll meet a lot of proud townsfolk who will help you along your adventure. Collect sheriff stars to acquire access to more powerful weapons. Purchase ammo, pick up life packs, take on new missions. Be careful though, the baddies get stronger as you progress, even kamikaze gunslinging fools will burst out at you with molotov cocktails. Gotta keep your hat on straight if you know what I mean.
Cowboy Guns brings a nice auto save feature with it, and you can save your progress at any point as well. Only complaint is this is a one mission one player type game. You can continue your mission or select any previously finished levels whenever you want. They’ve even added Quick Play games etc. But I do wish this one had a few saves for more players.
Regardless Cowboy Guns is a blast. Lots of unique weapons, weapon upgrades, level upgrades, special clothing, unlockable costumes and more. For a mere $2.99 this one is not a negotiation. Pick it up!