New Berryfication BBM Channel – Now Open!
Tuesday morning at BlackBerry Live, BlackBerry announced a great new feature for BBM called BBM Channels. It’s much like a collection of mini-mobile blogs within BlackBerry Messenger. The new feature is an extension of BBM and is compatible with devices running OS 5.0, 6.0, 7.0, 7.1, BlackBerry 10 & BlackBerry 10.1. Get the full scoop on BBM Channels here. You can download BBM Channels to your BlackBerry at www.blackberry.com/beta
Once you’re all set up with BBM Channels, should you prefer to give the new beta a spin you can then join our Berryfication BBM Channel here: C00045DA1 or simply scan the barcode in the image below.
We will be bringing lots of great news, giveaways, product news and much more via our BBM Channel starting tonight. If you follow either Berryfication @berryfication or myself at @rezn you know that I tend to share links to products before anyone else. There’s a couple reasons why I do this one is because developers let us know about new products, many we test via sandbox, as well I still have a couple tricks up my sleeve. So we can’t stress the importance of joining our channel to get in the know right away. I will be limiting my personal Twitter account to information after we’ve shared it on the BBM Channel. That way we can keep it a treat for our fans and avoid being uncredited on other sources.
So what are you waiting for? Join up! And enjoy!
New BBM Channels Announced – Available in BlackBerry Beta Zone
Well it’s not exactly BBM updated. But BBM Channels does add new layers of social communications, news, interaction and so much more.
I’ve had a little bit of time to play around with BBM Channels, added most of the featured channels, even accepted a couple private invites. I’m already preparing our own channel. And my excitement lies in the ease of use. From a channel creation process this looks like it will be easier than building even a web application for your blog. Just add a couple images for your channel and away you go!
As for interacting and being involved in other users channels I admit I love this new addition to BBM! They’ve even made it available to the older BBOS devices running 5.0, 6.0, 7.0, 7.1 & now BlackBerry 10 and 10.1.
So far as a follower to a BBM Channel you can get direct news the moment the Channel admin posts it. You can add a thumbs up/like as well as leave a polite comment. Hopefully BlackBerry users can keep their trolling attitudes clear of this new environment, as BlackBerry has already made it clear that foul language and/or innuendo will not be tolerated. As long as you can abide by that simple request we think this will be a wonderful new place to get great content and share our own! Get the full scoop below.
One of our favorite game makers for BlackBerry has made their return but this time around Smarter Apps is all business. If you’re a BES administrator then you will likely love this new product! IT Manager makes life simpler for BES Admins, as it gives you the chance to manage BES tools right from your BlackBerry Z10, Q10 and even Legacy devices running OS5, 6, 7 etc. Pretty cool right?
Check out the full press release below!
A new app has been released for BlackBerry Server administrators. It’s called IT Manager and allows admins to manage their BES from their BlackBerry devices. It can be downloaded now from BlackBerry World and supports the BlackBerry Z10, Q10, Bold, Curve and Torch devices.
This is a very handy app for making changes to your BES without having to go into the office. The app is easy to use and requires no server changes to setup.
- Creating & Deleting Users
- Setting User Activation Passwords
- Remove and Wipe Devices
- Set Password and Lock Devices
- Add and Remove Users from Groups
- Set User and Group IT Policies
- View IT Policies Rules
- View Server and BES Instances Status
- Support for managing BES 5.x and BES 10
- Manage multiple BES Servers Simultaneously
The app is also available for iOS devices with more admin features like SSH, Telnet, VNC, RDP, Windows, BES, AWS and Google Apps, these features will also be coming soon to BlackBerry 10 devices. The IT Manager app will also be on display in the exhibits hall at the BlackBerry Live conference next month.
The IT Manager app costs $99/year and can be downloaded with a 7 free day trial from here:
If you want a dope theme I’ve always been quick to point directly to my good friend Dave over at BBThemes. There’s something special about devs that will spend as much time as it takes to release a great product, without rushing it out. Add Seven Point Ten to the must have list. Plus it boosts those sick BlackBerry 10 icons. Users holding onto their OS6, OS7.1 devices impatiently awaiting a Z10 or Q10 deserve this theme.
[Review] Flow Pie for PlayBook & BlackBerry handhelds by Ivy Studio
I picked Flow Pie up for one of our PlayBooks a week or two back. But it wasn’t till recently when I started playing it and also realized the game was available on my handheld that I fell madly in love with it. The premise is simple, yet addictive. Match the same colors but don’t overlap. Some levels will have you moving right through them, while others will take a fair amount of cognitive thinking.
• 750+ levels for cellphone, 900+ levels for BlackBerry® PlayBook™.
• TIME TRIAL mode to play with your friends.
• vivid sound effects.
• make the best use of your BlackBerry FULL-SCREEN.
More levels will be coming soon …
Some developers will almost always guarantee a high quality product. Take 2 of those developers and you get something that may be considered a classic or nearly perfect product! At least that’s what we have here. Berryfication favorites Kisai Labs & The World Of Pootermobile teamed up to bring us The Official Kisai Labs Theme! It’s FREE.. Compatible with many OS 6.0 to 7.1 devices & very attractive.
• Default OS7/OS6 layout
• Wallpaper friendly
• Custom icons
Never Pocket Dial again with SecureMic
Just when you think you’ve got everything covered, someone comes out with an app that will truly be useful. SecureMic does exactly what I thought it did. It mutes your BlackBerry mic just in case of an accidental call out, or call taken when the other caller should not have access to your private conversation. This app would be a must have for any spy. But thanks to the team at SecureMic Inc., anyone with a few dollars can set up a custom schedule to keep that pesky Berry from calling your redial, speed dials or just a random friend, colleague etc.
Check out the full Features
• Quick and easy activation / deactivation of SecureMic
• Scheduler to turn on / off SecureMic automatically
• LED indicator to let you know SecureMic is active
• In call disabling of SecureMic without having to reactivate the app after your call has ended
•• Get more info, see a video and more on here: www.securemic.com/
It’s always cool when I meet a new theme dev. Weather Themerzz has been doing this for a bit under a different name is unknown to me. But the latest themes he’s done are pretty attractive. L Theme with mini icons is my favorite. For the ladies he’s got the Pink L Theme with pink mini icons of course.
With the Holidays right around the corner SHAPE Services decided to share a wonderful sale with our readers and fans of the always impressive instant messaging client known only as IM+ Pro! Normally priced at $9.99. When they first emailed us about this sale they said the price would be down to $4.99. Today the price is just $2.99! You can not beat that deal.
Check out IM+ Pro Features
• Send text messages, photos, videos, and voice notes
• Group chats in Skype, MSN, AIM, ICQ.
• Chat history, accessible in IM+ on your device and from any web browser at https://plus.im
• Create personal status messages
• Typing notifications
• Customize your IM+ look and feel with custom sound notifications and emoticons
• …and we’re not done yet, new IM+ features will keep coming!
[Big Update] Twitter for BlackBerry 4.0 – Now Available
After a nice wave of BlackBerry Beta Zone updates, Twitter for BlackBerry is now sitting at v188.8.131.52 also know as official 4.0! This is by far the closest Twitter BlackBerry has ever seen to the official Twitter many users on Android, iPhone, etc have come accustomed to.
Just check out these features
• Enhanced navigation bar – With Twitter v4.0, you will enjoy an enhanced navigation experience, keeping you connected to your friends and content that matter.
• New tabs with a familiar feel – Twitter v4.0 showcases the ‘Connect’ and ‘Discover’ tabs, which active Twitter users will recognize from Twitter’s website.
• Connect tab – Helping to keep those engaged conversations going, the ‘Connect’ tab shares who has retweeted, favorited and followed you, and gives you the option to filter ‘mentions’ and ‘replies’.
• Discover tab – Twitter v4.0 makes finding the latest news and trends easier and quicker. Discover new friends and favorite things to follow through ‘Who to follow’ or by browsing via ‘Categories’. Catch up on the latest buzz through viewing ‘Trends’.
• Me tab – Access messages and lists under the ‘Me’ tab.
See the Inside BlackBerry Blog post here: http://blogs.blackberry.com/2012/12/twitter-for-blackberry-app-update/#more-15058
[NEW in App World] BBM 7 with BBM Voice – Now Available
Those of you who love testing BlackBerry official apps aren’t new to the BBM 7 with BBM Voice update. However the latest update is v184.108.40.206 (official), is slightly newer than the last beta version you downloaded from the BlackBerry Beta Zone.
Some fun facts:
1. RIM surveyed BlackBerry users who tried the BBM 7 beta and over 80% said they would recommend it.
2. In the same survey 90% of testers said they would use BBM Voice while traveling to keep in touch.
3. Nearly half of BBM users have international contacts and can benefit from FREE Wi-Fi calls.
NEW in BBM 7 with BBM Voice
- Multi-tasking with Split-screen feature – Customers can do more while they talk, such as check other BBM text chats, check email, or navigate to other apps while engaged on a BBM Voice call. They can start a call in an instant, and switch between texting and talking, or text and talk at the same time. They can also for example, send a picture to a contact while they are talking with them.
- · Clear Visual Indicator – Customers can see when contacts are available for a voice call.
- · Convenient Compatibility with Accessories – Customers can use their favorite accessories, such as a Bluetooth® or wired headset, or use the BlackBerry smartphone’s speakerphone.
- · 16 New Emoticons – Available in the final software released today, customers will see a slate of new emoticons offer them fresh, fun ways to express themselves in text chats.
- · Direct BBM Update Notification – BBM will now notify a customer when there is an update from within the app, and allow them to download it immediately from inside the app.
- · Simple BlackBerry ID Synchronization – A customer’s BBM profile, Groups and Contacts are now linked to their BBID for easy backup and restore. The data will also carry over when they move to BlackBerry 10.
BBM 7 with BBM Voice is now available for all BlackBerry smartphones running the BlackBerry 6 OS or higher. BBM Voice will also be available for BlackBerry OS 5 early next year. The BBM 7 software update can be downloaded for free at appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/3729/.
For more information about BBM, please visit www.blackberry.com/bbm.
* BBM requires a BlackBerry service plan. The BBM Voice feature requires a Wi-Fi connection with access to the Internet and may not be available in all markets. BBM Contacts must also be on BBM 7.0 and connected to Wi-Fi to have a BBM Voice chat.
[VIDEO] BBM on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwJ9QlXwVSU
[VIDEO] “How to Use BBM Voice to Voice Chat” on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXsxzm3rY4M
Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog Post http://bizblog.blackberry.com/2012/12/bbm-7-voice/
Press Release on BBM Voice Beta http://press.rim.com/newsroom/press/2012/bbm-now-lets-you have-voice-chats-for-free-over-wi-fi.html
[BlackBerry Beta Zone] Twitter for BlackBerry v4.0 Now Available!
RIM is just filled with all kinds of wonderful gifts lately. When I saw a Twitter for BlackBerry update in the Beta Zone this morning my face lit up! The 3 most important social apps are all updated & available in the BlackBerry Beta Zone right now. Each brings some wonderful new treats, fixes and UI changes. It will be cool to see how they build us from the current generation of BlackBerry social apps into the next generation over the next month.
Check out what’s been added to the latest Twitter for BlackBerry smartphones 4.0 client.
- Simplified NavBar: The Navigation Bar has been made simpler, more consistent with Twitter’s own navigation, and includes Home, Connect, Discover, Search and Me.
- Users will find Trends has become part of Discover Tab and Direct Messages (DMs) and Lists have been moved under the Me Tab (previously known as My Profile).
- Connect Tab with Interactions: Previously known as Mentions, the Connect Tab displays additional types of user interactions including when one of your Tweets is Favorited, Retweeted or Replied To, and when you have a new Follower.
- Discover Tab with Trends, Who To Follow and Browse Categories: Three trends are loaded and the user has the ability to View all trends on their own screen. Who To Follow is a completely new function showing three users suggestions and a button to view 20 more. Browse Categories is available as a button on Discover Tab and has been given a new look.
- Me Tab with Direct Messages: The user will find Direct Message access in the Messages bar under Me Tab. For users with multiple accounts, red splats are also used to indicate new information for the inactive accounts.
- Attribution Tag Removal: The user will no longer see “via XYZ client” in tweets and retweets.
So what’s the hold up? Go download the new Twitter for BlackBerry and be excited, because this is awesome! And be sure to let us know what you love about the new update? Personally I love new Connect Tab with Interactions myself.